How do I figure out why LogonUserA is failing?

Mark Paulus commpg@yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 18:14:00 GMT 2001

Hi,

I've tried various permutations of things in /etc/passwd in order
to make login work, and I can't seem to get the correct things worked.

My machine is running Win2K/SP2, connected to a domain, and
roaming profiles are enabled.  I have tried doing a mkpasswd -l
and then doing a login <myUserid> with my normal windows password,
and failure.
I have tried doing a mkpasswd -d and then doing a login <myUserid>
with my normal windows passwd, and failure.

Where/what is the silver bullet to getting this login stuff to work.
I ultimately want to be able to define root as a user, and be able to
login to that account for some work, but I can't seem to get any
of it working.  I have read the NT security and the ntsec usage
guide, and I think I comprehend most of what's in there, but I
can't figure out this one....

Any pointers would be appreciated....

Thanks.