VIM "Cannot execute shell sh", "long startup time" problems maybe solved

Alessandro Doro adoroo@dalmondo.net
Sat Nov 10 16:15:00 GMT 2001

Enclosed is the output of:

$ vim -VD

called in a bash shell after having unset HOME.

Several lines similar to:

Calling shell to execute:
"unset nonomatch; echo >/tmp/v752648/1 ~/.vim/syntax/syncolor.vim"

appear.

Under a DOS box, with HOME and SHELL undefined and sh.exe not in
the PATH, vim output (cygwin 1.3.3):

E79: Cannot expand wildcards

Cannot execute shell sh

However sh.exe is executed if it is found the PATH, slowing startup time
and file loading time. If SHELL points to another shell, vim tries to
executes that.

With the 1.3.4 cygwin dll the error message is not shown
because HOME is automatically set and vim doesn't call $SHELL.

I think that the problems (perhaps magically disappeared) recently
posted by Scott Brim and Tyler Close came from bad environment settings.
See:
I'm not subscribed to the mailing list so I can't properly reply to
those messages: sorry.

I ran my tests under Win95 OSR2 B, vim 6.0.11-1, cygwin 1.3.4 (-2, -4)

Bye, Alessandro.

--

                                   ad
   le castagne scottano... (and so on)