Win98se and using SSHD as a TRUE service

Gerald Villemure GVillemure@ik.ca
Sun Nov 11 08:26:00 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "JAmes Coleman" <james.coleman@s3group.com>
To: "Gerald Villemure" <GVillemure@ik.ca>
Cc: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: Win98se and using SSHD as a TRUE service

-- stuff cut --

> The following compiles okay for me (with only the one error I introduced
> which you shouldn't have)

Ok I introduced your changes and I was able to complie SSHD.EXE.

Unfortunately it dosen't work.  When I checked with WinTOP the proccess is
still NOT listed as a service.

This is a show stopper for me.  For example if I am using SSHD on a machine
while the user is also on the machine and for some reason the user desides
to logout, then SSHD dies and my session with it... worse I can no loger get
back in since SSHD is dead!  So much for remote admin.

It should be noted that SSHD dose not die so long as I don't use it.  The
user can open and close a session on this machine without killing SSHD.  But
if I use SSHD, even if only for a second, then the next time the user logs
out SSHD will die.

The goal here for me is to use cygwin for remote administration.  Almost ALL
machines are Win98se and I can't change that fact.  This bug if you can call
it that realy has me dead in the water.

Unfortunatly I am a sysadmin, I am not a developer and I don't have the
skillset to fix this bug/problem myself.

Am I realy the only one that wants to use SSHD and Cygwin on Win9x
platforms?
Gérald