tetex-beta nitpicking [WAS: Re: no more package moratorium?]

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sun Nov 11 08:26:00 GMT 2001

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> Markus Hoenicka <Markus.Hoenicka@uth.tmc.edu> writes:
>
> > You can't even install MiKTeX unless you run the latest Windows or the
> > latest Internet Explorer.
>
> Strange, we haven't had any complaints.  It seemst that MiKTeX
> installs and runs flawlessly.  Note that, of course, MiKTeX is
> packaged in a tarball and installed through setup.exe.

Note to cygwin folks: MikTeX has it's own setup.exe, based on a
completely different codebase.  (BTW, I thought MikTeX and its packages
were packaged as .cab files, not tarballs -- .tgz.  I guess I always
associate "tarball" with "tar was used to create")

[see note below]

> Maybe our
> Windows users are all using that latest software?
>
> > I have instructions about installing a SGML system on Windows which
> > also uses TeX for the printable output:
> >
> > http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/cygbook1.html
>
> Thanks, but I don't think that would do.  Currently, windows users run
> setup.exe, and they get a working LilyPond environment.  We get lots
> of questions and complaints if it doesn't work that way.  Even if
> there are simple, step by step, instructions on what to do after
> running setup.exe.

Again, the MikTeX setup is not the cygwin setup.

[see note below]

> No, I installed tetex-beta, that's all the tetex that setup.exe will
> install, right?  That's why we still have to distribute and maitain
> our own, modified setup.exe and repository (apart from the just lifted
> package moratorium).

Okay, now this sounds like lilypond is using a modified *cygwin*
setup.exe.

Does lilypond distribute it's own version of MiKTeX, using the cygwin
setup.exe to do the installation (of the custom MikTeX, and the lilypond
stuff)?

Geez.  I started out trying to clarify the issue, and ended up confusing
myself.

:-P

--Chuck