Setup.exe Revisited

Daniel Meier dmeier@crosstrust.com
Sun Nov 11 11:40:00 GMT 2001

I've seen a couple of complaints but no real response to the question: setup.exe used to be (like, last week) real easy to run and install most things needed, but now it doesn't.

I mean after installing with setup.exe I can't even run vi! None of the cygwin directories are in the path. Even if I add them to the path it still can't find vi.

I note that in the new install vim is not default. I assume there is a difference between vi and 'new improved vi' - vim. The most important difference being vi IS part of the default environment?

It used to take a brainless cluck to install and use cygwin. Now you've raised the entry requirement - must have a functional brain as well as a few clues.

Is there a bug in the setup.exe (not including all 'basic' features). Or does it take a little more knowledge to install cygwin these days, and where do I get the knowledge? Or is there a recidivist option to use the previous setup.exe?