installshield replacement

Joshua Franklin joshuadfranklin@yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 02:19:00 GMT 2001

> No, setup is not based on cygwin1.dll.  It is a pure
> windows app -- and
> can be used (with appropriate modifications, of
> course) to install
> non-cygwin software.  E.g. the XEmacs project is
> using a fork of our
> setup to install its software and packages.
I didn't mean to suggest that setup.exe depends on
cygwin1.dll, just that it was designed to install
things that do. And, there are already projects that
are designed to install anything without modification
(just a script), so you don't have to make source
changes. The exception is the UNIXy tool, like XEmacs,
for which setup.exe's peculiarities might be handy.