compiling python extensions under Cygwin

cliff@ember.com cliff@ember.com
Thu Nov 15 09:22:00 GMT 2001

Hi--

I'm trying to move some python extensions from Linux to Cygwin,
and I don't know how to compile them properly.  Searching the web
didn't yield much info, so any examples/howtos would be greatly
appreciated.

Specific questions:

1.  Cygwin python (2.1.1) doesn't seem to import ".so" files, so I
assume that I must compile to ".dll"  Could someone confirm this?
Are there alternatives?

2.  When I try to create a ".dll" using the information on the Cygwin
website, I get a linker warning saying that it could not find a
reference to mainCRTStartup (even though my extension does not
have any GUI).  Importing the resulting .dll leads to a segfault.
What gives?

Thanks for reading this far and for any pointers to resources on the
web or in print.

--Cliff