gcc not creating .exe

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 08:40:00 GMT 2001

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 06:06:30PM -0800, bucky@phantom.keystreams.com wrote:
>On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 02:52:03PM -0800, bucky@phantom.keystreams.com wrote:
>>>Excellent! Hiding the cygwin1.dll in /usr/local/lib fixed the gcc
>>>problem, and it also fixed my "disappearing stderr" problem.
>>
>>Why are you putting a version of cygwin in /usr/local/lib???  This is
>>clearly wrong.
>
>You assume too much.  I never put any DLLs anywhere - it was like that
>when I installed cygwin.

I'm not assuming anything.  I *know* that no standard cygwin package
installs a /usr/local/*/cygwin1.dll.  In fact, AFAICT, there is no
usr/local anywhere in the cygwin distribution, nor should there be.

A moments worth of thought would lead you to this conclusion.  Do you
see all sorts of people complaining about the problems that you're
seeing?  No.  Why do you think that is?  Luck?

So, if you truly have a /usr/local directory, it comes from something
that you have either downloaded or built from outside of the standard
cygwin distribution.

cgf