cygrunsrv sshd fails: Some clues

Peter Buckley peter.buckley@cportcorp.com
Tue Nov 20 04:49:00 GMT 2001

Comments inline-

Shawn Behrens wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Sorry, I thought when you started it manually you just typed:
>>
>> prompt>sshd
>>
>> So you are starting the service manually:
>>
>> prompt>cygrunsrv sshd
>

> Actually, I am starting it through Control Panel or through 'net start
> sshd'.
>
>> and it works, but starting the service automatically fails? That
>> sounds like a problem with whatever version of XP you have
>

> Yes. The version of XP I have is XP Professional, release version. Note
> that others have reported this same problem with W2k, too, so I do not
> think it is XP-specific.

The problem may not be XP specific, but it does seem to not be just sshd
or cygrunsrv, since other people have it working on XP, Win2k, etc. My
WG is that there is some sort of setting on Win2k or XP that decides how
it will start/handle services, and that setting on your machine isn't
kopasetic with sshd/cygrunsrv. I just have no idea what the setting
might be :-)

Have you tried starting other cygwin services, like inetd? I don't
remember if we discussed it before, but it might be a helpful test to
see if inetd works or not- inetd installs as a service differently than
sshd IIRC, inetd --install-as-service.

I saw something recently about making sure that the service was starting

cygrunsrv and not sshd- it was in the context of editing the registry.

I guess that your "Cygwin SSHD" service should start cygrunsrv, and then

cygrunsrv should take the path to sshd as an argument.

HTH,

Peter

--
Your mouse has moved.