Is This a Bug - Application Network Problem With Cygwin

David Highley dhighley@highley-recommended.com
Tue Nov 20 09:53:00 GMT 2001

We are experiencing a network authentication problem when using Cygwin.
We have been using Cygwin for a couple of years now without any issues
like this. This is a complicated environment so let me explain the set
up.

We are using two Solaris 8 servers, one is the Samba PDC and the other
one is running Samba and ClearCase Configuration Management application.
Samba is version 2.2.2. The client system is an NT 4.0 SP 6a system
running the latest version of Cygwin and ClearCase.

When trying to check out a file on the NT system in a Cygwin window we
get an authentication failure logged on the Solaris PDC system. When we
do the same operation in a CMD window there are no problems. Snoop logs
of these two activities show that the Cygwin operation uses different
source ports and that the user identification gets set to UID and GID
of -2 which is the user nobody. Creating and removing files that are
not under CM control works fine. We are not logging into Cygwin on the
NT system, but /etc/passwd and /etc/group do exist.

--

Regards,

David Highley		      Phone: (206) 669-0081
Highley Recommended, Inc.	FAX: (253) 838-8509
2927 SW 339th Street	      Email: dhighley@highley-recommended.com
Federal Way, WA 98023-7732	WEB: http://www.highley-recommended.com