More exim, and fcntl lock problems

Pierre A. Humblet Pierre.Humblet@ieee.org
Tue Nov 20 23:26:00 GMT 2001

Coincidentally with Gerrit Haase in
last weekend I also got to compile exim (a mail
transfer agent) and qpopper (a pop server).

Both compile fine with relatively minor changes. For
exim I wrote a routine to discover the local interfaces
and (instead of relying on bind) a simple synchronous stub
resolver (that could perhaps later interface directly to
the native caching resolver in Windows 2000 etc...).
Contrary to Gerrit I didn't need to provide flock().
Exim works somewhat, e.g. it can send mail.

That's where the bad news start, I tried Win98 and NT.
1) Under Win98 I hit issues that were traced to gdbm
emulation of ndbm on FAT
That looks hopeless to me. Please tell me I am wrong!

2) On WinNT, local deliveries fail on line 765 of transport.c
  while ((len = read(deliver_datafile, deliver_in_buffer,
I reproduced the situation in the attached try.c
A parent process opens and locks a file (using fcntl),
and then forks a child. It turns out that the child cannot
read the file. Is it a Cygwin bug (latest everything)?

I also hit a couple of minor issues, e.g. pathnames starting
with multiple / (fixed in os.c), and the fact that Windows
pathnames can contain $ (unfortunately my home directory is
//admin4/phumblet$). Exim tries to expand them, as sh would
(no fix yet).

I will gladly send my versions of os.c and os.h to willing
experimenters.

Pierre