gcc not creating .exe

David A. Cobb superbiskit@home.com
Thu Nov 29 15:56:00 GMT 2001

bucky@phantom.keystreams.com wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>You assume too much.  I never put any DLLs anywhere - it was like that
>>>when I installed cygwin.
>>>
>>I'm not assuming anything.  I *know* that no standard cygwin package
>>installs a /usr/local/*/cygwin1.dll.  In fact, AFAICT, there is no
>>usr/local anywhere in the cygwin distribution, nor should there be.
>>
>>A moments worth of thought would lead you to this conclusion.  Do you
>>see all sorts of people complaining about the problems that you're
>>seeing?  No.  Why do you think that is?  Luck?
>>
>>So, if you truly have a /usr/local directory, it comes from something
>>that you have either downloaded or built from outside of the standard
>>cygwin distribution.
>>

> Okay.
>
> I'm sorry if my previous reply came off as smart-assed.  I should have
> thought about it a few more seconds before I sent it out.
>
> I am quite positive that I have not myself installed anything in
> /usr/local - aside from running the Cygwin setup, I'm doing my development
> in /home, and I'm not getting anywhere _near_ doing DLL work.  All I'm
> looking for is a simple Linux-style development environment without having
> to dual-boot my laptop.  I wouldn't know where to start on the Windows
> side. (I am an utter novice, would-be Cygwin user.)
>
> Is it possible that the mirror that I used (rcn) is not giving out the
> standard cygwin distribution?  Are there any decisions I could make in the
> setup utility that would result in me getting a non-standard load, with a
> cygwin1.dll in /usr/local?  That's all I can think of at this point.
>
> Thanks,
> David

Chris already mentioned that SETUP does create an empty /usr/local

tree.  If you have installed, e.g. Xemacs, it is probably installed

into /usr/local/lib/. . . . because that's one of the "normal" places

for software that's specific to your site.
--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around
nice guy.