bash 2.04 can't complete ~/name if $HOME set to c:/users/foo?

Matt Landau matt@atg.com
Tue Oct 2 08:20:00 GMT 2001

At 10:57 AM 10/2/2001, David Starks-Browning wrote:
>OK.  But in fact, doesn't Emacs care about $HOME so it can find .emacs
>or _emacs?

Nope.  It manages to find ~/.emacs even if $HOME has been whacked by
bash.  Not sure how it does so, but it does.

>Probably because bash is a unix program, not a Windows program?
>Without looking at the bash source code (bad thing to say on this
>list, I know), your complaint sounds like a feature request, not a bug
>report.

Perhaps, although I'm fairly sure that previous versions of bash *did* know
how to complete win32-style pathnames.  But maybe I'm misremembering.

>It's not *always* possible to make $HOME a win32 path.  I would expect
>ssh and rsh, for example, to interpret the colon as host:path.

I'm probably going to bail on that approach in any case and use shell
functions, because not having completion is just too annoying.

>For Emacs, have you looked into cygwin-mount.el?  Here is one
>reference: < http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-05/msg00684.html >.

I guess that's another approach to the emacs issue, though it still doesn't
help with other apps.  Thanks for the reference, though.