Acces tape-unit with cygwin

Don Sharp dwsharp@iee.org
Wed Oct 3 01:34:00 GMT 2001

Wim Versteeg wrote:

> Don,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply. But unfortunately I can't find this tape-device
> (tape0) in de cygwin-directory or other dir's. Do I need to do an extra
> installation. Please could you inform me how to install/detect this tape-unit?

Cygwin works device magic via the registry mount table. Once you have
done the mount, any reference to the device name, e.g. /dev/st0, is
directed to the tape device that you mounted. The mount only has to be
done once and you may thereafter refer to the device. The choice of name
for the device is up to you. For example one of my machines has two tape
drives and they are mounted as

mount -f -s -b "//./tape0" "/dev/st0"
mount -f -s -b "//./tape0" "/dev/nst0"
mount -f -s -b "//./tape1" "/dev/nrmt0"