Perl 5.7.2

John Peacock jpeacock@rowman.com
Mon Oct 8 12:43:00 GMT 2001

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Hmm.  I've been (mildly) criticized here when I respond to too many
> messages ("let other people handle it") and now I'm assailed for not
> being more responsive.

I've been there myself.  I've also been the target of a massive
counter attack which was unwarrented.  Shows how fast I unlearn what I
have learned.  :~(

> I saw your original message which actually did provide a surprising
> amount of detail but I really don't have the time to load bleadperl
> (whatever that might be) onto my system in an attempt to try to
> duplicate your problem.  So, I guess this is a pretty classic stalemate.

Now that I have calmed down, I am still willing to keep banging and
trying to work this through.  I'll grab the latest snapshot and see
what that does.  I am more focused on fixing Perl, but if I have to fix
CygWin to do it, so be it.

BTW, bleadperl is simply the colloquial name for the development branch
(sort of the Bleading Edge, as it were).  Jarkko is doing snapshots
every day or two so the current bleadperl is actually here:

      http://www.iki.fi/jhi/perl@12363.tgz
      http://www.iki.fi/jhi/perl@12363.tbz

      ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/snap/perl@12363.tgz
      ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/snap/perl@12363.tbz

      rsync -av ftp.funet.fi::perlsnap perl

for anyone interested in testing this themselves.

(a somewhat chastened) John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group