Oracle 8i on Windows client error 487 (xterm-launched) and 6 (shell -launched) in Cygwin 1.3.3

Ralf Habacker Ralf.Habacker@freenet.de
Wed Oct 10 11:56:00 GMT 2001

> I tried to make Darius Clynes small Oracle project work on Windows 2000
> SP2 (latest) and Windows NT 4 SP6b (latest) but I consistently get
>
> m.AllocationBase 0x0, m.BaseAddress 0x614E0000, m.RegionSize 0x20000,
> m.State 0x10000
> K:\cygwin\usr\src\try_ora\my_example.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for
> cygwin's heap
> (0x614E0000 <0x1690000>) in child, Win32 error N
>
> where N = 487 if launched within an xterm
> and   N = 6   if launcehd within the bash shell started by cygwin.bat.
>
> When I run with `gdb`, I see a zillion of the following message box
> pairs:
>
> "LDR: Automatic DLL Relocation in my_example.exe"
> "LDR: Dll {AN ORACLE DLL} base 600000000 relocated due to collision with
> {ANOTHER ORACLE DLL}

I had the same problem with a dll, which image base adress conflicts with the
address of the cygwin1.dll (image base = 0x61000000).
Try to objdump -x *.dll of the used dll to see which dll has which image base
address
or use ssp.exe (for example  ssp -v -d -dll 0x401000 0x440000 yourapp.exe)
to see which dll is relocated to which address.
Changing the image base could be done by relinking, other ways I don't know.
So it will be a problem to relink an oracle dll without the source code.