SPAM - Re: (((((((-= Enter To Win One of 25 Dream Vacations!! =-)))))))

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Wed Oct 10 22:42:00 GMT 2001

Sigh.  I *know* I shouldn't extend this thread, but I just can't help
myself.

1) There IS filtering of messages.  There are FAR more spams received by
the maillist processor than actually make it out to all of us on the
cygwin list.

2) Perhaps LKML's filtering is better than ours.  However, some of the
draconian measures used by LKML have resulted in many "false positives"
-- I seem to recall one long-time, well-respected kernel hacker who
eventually gave up on the kernel, because he was continually being
rejected by the auto-spam filter.

3) Cygwin used to use ORBS to block spam.  However, AFAIRC, ORBS is
dead, MAPS has been taken over by the borg and the dirty tricks squad,
etc etc.  Basically, it seems as though the spammer's lawyer-vampires
have managed to neuter these spam-block services.  (I'm vague on the
details, go do a web search on cnet.com or slashdot for more info...)

The point: we all hate spam.  Chris does as good a job as he can
manually blocking spammer's mail address -- but that's like playing
whack-a-mole.  Stuff will get through.  Just hit 'd' and move on.
Nuthin' to see here, folks.  These aren't the droids you're looking for.
  Move along.

--Chuck