Shell CAPS-lock settings

ian.ray@nokia.com ian.ray@nokia.com
Thu Oct 11 08:12:00 GMT 2001

Hi,

Chris wrote:
> That someone was probably me.  I was asking for someone to provide
> a patch.
> Nobody ever has.
>
> cgf

http://www.ladybridge.com/qm_faq4f.htm
"On Windows 95, the Caps Lock key toggles all keys, not just the alpha
keys.
This is a Windows 95 bug in the Windows ReadConsoleInput API."

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q140/4/56.asp
"Deadkeys cannot be accepted as input to a Windows 95 Console
application
even when the appropriate keyboard layout is selected.
ReadConsoleInput()
cannot read in deadkeys on Windows 95."

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/win32dk/kb/q137/1/95.txt
"Unpredictable results occur if you use ReadConsole and ReadConsoleInput
together in a Windows 95-based application. Do not mix the two functions
when using a single console."

I have made a proposed patch (breaking Microsoft advice, above).
I did this work against cygwin-snapshot-20011005-1.

This patch must be tested in Win95, Win98, and WinNT. I only have time
for some basic, UK-keyboard/British-English tests on Win95 and WinNT.

Comments? Testers?

Blue skies,
ianr