Inopportune Crash

Steven E. Bailey sbailey@newsweekly.net
Mon Oct 15 19:14:00 GMT 2001

Sorry, I'm all out of ideas... it worked for me.  I believe I reinstalled
binutils but I can't imagine that that would make a difference.  Maybe it's
even something weird with your setup program (?).  Do you have anything
in your /etc/install directory?  The installation process seems to write
something there - a list of all files downloaded.

Your setup.log has a list of entries like this?

[automake] action=Keep trust=unknown installed=curr excluded=no src?=no
     [prev] ver=1.4-4
          inst=latest/automake/automake-1.4-4.tar.gz 205565 exists=yes
          src=latest/automake/automake-1.4-4-src.tar.gz 356534 exists=yes
     [curr] ver=1.5-1
          inst=latest/automake/automake-1.5-1.tar.bz2 219871 exists=yes
          src=latest/automake/automake-1.5-1-src.tar.bz2 397236 exists=yes

That seems to be what is recreated and what is used to determine what is
needed.  Of course I don't know for sure either.

In the worst case (and I hope you have a DSL or better connection) maybe you
can copy your existing directory somewhere else and re-install to the same
directory and then copy the existing one back (I've done this before too) -
at least then nothing that you have modified will be different (of course
whatever is broken may be copied too)...

Good luck.