Perl gets \r in strings even in text mode

Reuben Thomas rrt@sc3d.org
Tue Oct 16 06:09:00 GMT 2001

I'm currently having problems with Perl returning strings with CRLFs in
rather than just LFs, even when read in text mode, from a text-mode mount
point.

For example, the following script:

#! /usr/bin/perl

while (<>) {
  if (m/\r\n/) { print "CRLF\n"; }
}

when saved to test.pl and run on a normal multi-line DOS text file prints
"CRLF" lots of times, even when run on a DOS text file in a
text-mode-mounted directory.

This is repeatable on different machines; I'm using cygwin-1.3.2-1 (not the
latest, I know, but 1,3.3 has serious problems for me because of the
segfault-triggered-by-recursive-make bug) and perl-5.6.1-2.

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes (Anon)