Is cygwin1.dll backward compatible?

egor duda deo@logos-m.ru
Sat Oct 20 07:59:00 GMT 2001

Hi!

Saturday, 20 October, 2001 Dario Alcocer alcocer@helixdigital.com wrote:

DA> I have a custom application that was compiled with the 1.1.8-2 version
DA> of the Cygwin DLL.  I've since upgraded the Cygwin DLL to 1.3.2.  The
DA> custom app seems to run fine under 1.3.2, but I'm worried that there
DA> might be some potential problems lurking in this setup.

DA> So, is cygwin1.dll designed for this type of backward compatibility?
DA> Do all applications which where compiled for version A of cygwin1.dll
DA> need to be re-compiled to run with version B of cygwin1.dll?

DA> I've never seen any of the app tar balls be re-done whenever the DLL
DA> changes, but I wanted to make sure that this was by design.

yes. if/when cygwin team is about to make backward-incompatible
changes to cygwin, dll is supposed to be renamed to cygwin2.dll

you can look at "api major" and "api minor" lines in output from
'cygcheck -v -s'. "api minor" is incremented whenever anybody makes
forward-incompatible changes to dll (such as exporting new function or
data from dll). "api major" is incremented whenever backward-
incompatible change is made.