Apache/PHP Problem:CLOSE_WAIT sockets

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Wed Oct 24 10:24:00 GMT 2001

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 06:54:36PM +0200, Stipe Tolj wrote:
>> I don't know how many people are willing to download apache, set it up,
>> and run it, to duplicate your problems.
>>
>> So, you're welcome to keep asking for "the Cygwin Core team" to debug
>> this but I suspect that you'll have a long wait unless you can dilute
>> the problem into a simple test case.
>
>the problem arises from Cygwin's socket handling in my view.

I didn't say that it wasn't cygwin's socket code.  I said that if you
can't distill it down to a test case that is simpler than "apache has a
problem" then it is probably not going to be fixed.

>In simple words: if many TCP connections are served by a cygwin
>process (like httpd) something misterious happens to the socket
>implementation and it seems to get bogus.

Sorry but that is not a description that helps track down the problem.

>> Or, if you have a failing condition, you might want to attach the debugger
>> to it and poke around to see what is going on.  You will need to build
>> a debugging version of cygwin to get any useful info of course.
>
>I'm not in deep to cygwin internals to do this on my own, that's why I
>kindly asked for help at the core developers.

I am clear on what you were asking for.

I thought it was unlikely that anyone who volunteers to work on cygwin
would want to install apache on their system and run it for hours to
attempt to duplicate your problem.  I'm sorry but that is a simple fact
of life.  I've given this answer to other people who had other types
of mysterious problems that required a substantial time investment to
track down.

Maybe Corinna or Egor will be interested in looking into this.  I don't
speak for them.  I was just trying to aquaint you with what I think the
is the current state of affairs since you keep asking for "core
developers" to help you with your mysterious problem.

I responded as a "core developer" and you have now indicated that you
weren't interested in following my suggestions.  So we're all clear on
what's happening with this core developer at least.

cgf