Some dll questions

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sat Oct 27 17:57:00 GMT 2001

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Stephano Mariani wrote:
> I managed to build functional dlls, but I still have a few questions...
>
> I am familiar with shared libraries on linux, and am wondering whether most
> of the techniques still apply... specifically:
>
> 1) Can I use the dlfcn.h interface?

AFAIK, the dlopen stuff works with cygwin. (That is, cygwin provides
dlopen() functions that are just wrappers over the native windows
LoadLibrary() functions).  dlfcn.h should work, but I haven't tried it.

If not, it's a bug.

> 2) If so, does it behave any differently?

If so, it's a bug.

> 3) Also, does it work with the -mno-cygwin flag too?

Probably not.  cygwin1.dll provides those wrappers.  If you want a native
program, you'll need to use the Windows LoadLibrary() functions directly.
(Also note that the DLL's you're loading must all be compiled with
-mno-cygwin, as well as your program.  Otherwise, you'll have part of your
code depending on msvcrt.dll for runtime services, and part of your code
depending on cygwin1.dll for runtime services.  Badness will ensue.)

--Chuck