pthread: thread switching bug?

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 18:27:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 10:43:52AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>On Thu, 2001-10-25 at 07:04, Nemeth Marton wrote:
>t.
>> >
>> > Can you see whether you can reproduce the behaviour when writing to a
>> > file, not to stdout? (If you are not using fprintf now, start by trying
>> > with fprintf (stdout,...)). Let me know via the list whether you can
>> > make this happen with a standard file/console with fprintf and we'll
>> > take it from there,
>> >
>> > Rob
>>
>> I've checked the fallowing:
>>
>>                     | without redirection | with shell redirection to
>> file
>>                     |                     | ">testfile.txt"
>> --------------------|---------------------|---------------------------------
>> printf(...)         | bug exist           | bug does not exist
>> --------------------|---------------------|---------------------------------
>> fprintf(stdout, ...)| bug exist           | bug does not exist
>> --------------------|---------------------|---------------------------------
>>
>>         NMarci
>>
>> P.S. It seems that I couldn't post messages to cygwin@cygwin.com, that's
>> why I do a CC also.
>
>If you are behind a blocked mail server, you need to be subscribed to
>post messages. That is documented in the bounce message AFAIK.

Yes, in the usual strange syncronicity that amazes and confounds us all,
this week's cause for consternation is the inability to send email to
cygwin@cygwin.com.  There are a few people who are puzzled by the
bounce messages.  I think this mainly owes to the fact that they are
not actually reading the bounce messages.

>Thanks for the testing, you've shown that there is non thread safe code,
>probably in the fhandler_consoler in cygwin, or possibly in the MS
>Windows console code. Right now we don't know which.

I'm still not sure why this is a cygwin bug.  Is there some requirement
that writes to the console be atomic?  Your (Robert's) original email
indicated that the Opengroup spec didn't have this as a requirement.

I'm sure that output to files is different than output to consoles
but I"m not sure that is a bug.

cgf