Disk Space for Cygwin

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Sat Sep 1 14:07:00 GMT 2001

Jon,

Are you using a FAT volume? What's the total capacity? More importantly,
what's the allocation granularity for that volume?

Cygwin, like its Unix counterparts, comprises very many small files. My
full and current Cygwin directory includes 14,522 files totalling
209,909,451 bytes. On my NTFS volume, the actual space occupied by these
files is 236 MB. The average file size in my installation 14,455. If your
file system volume is using 32 kilobyte allocation units, for example,
you'd expect the overall installation to occupy about 475 megabytes instead
of the 236 on my NTFS. If you have 64 kilobyte allocation units, the total
installation would require about 950 megabytes.

In short, it's internal fragmentation of disk files that's making your
install so bloated.

Just another reason NTFS is preferable to FAT.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA