On Win98, connections hang when using remote command execution with SSHD.

Gerald Villemure GVillemure@ik.ca
Tue Sep 4 17:42:00 GMT 2001

> -> try "ssh -t localhost id". Will probably work, provided you have setup
> your access correctly.
> -> try "while true; do ssh -t localhost id; done". Will work about seven
> times, and then send sshd to hell.

You are correct using -t did the trick!  My test have revealed that I can
connect 10 times before SSHD crashes (its consistently 10 connections)

The tests are done by starting a session and manually running SSHD.

Note that I have done these tests with a mix and match of:
Cygwin 1.3.2 and 1.1.8
OpenSSH 2.9p2 and 2.5.2p2
They all behave the same way.

Is for an elegant way to start SSHD in Win98 I use this command:
  (not used for the test in order to minimize the variables)

c:\cygwin\bin\run-nw.exe /bin/bash --login -c /usr/sbin/sshd.exe

The program "run-rw.exe" is something I found in the list archive if cygwin.

Still no clean resolution to the problem,
Gérald