Linking to DLL files

Hrafnkell Eiríksson he@klaki.net
Mon Sep 10 04:47:00 GMT 2001

Hi

I'm trying to find out if I can compile code written in C++
using Cygwin/GCC that uses the Intel Image Processing Library.
It is distributed as a set of DLL files and .lib files for both
M$ Visual C++ and the Borland C++ compiler.

I tried following the guidelines on
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/cygwin-ug-net/dll.html#DLL-LINK
but without luck. Running nm on the ipl.dll file gives me
ipl.dll: no symbols

I can get the code to compile and link by using
g++ *.o -lipl -L//C/Path/To/Dir/With/ipl.dll/in/it/

If I run the resulting binary it just crashes with symptoms that
suggest that something has written garbage over the stack
(shouldn't I somehow use the .lib file as well?)
Note that I'm not used to .dlls and libraries in windows as my
background is in Unix development.

Thanks
  Hrafnkell