Latest Install - Domain account - File permisssions

Serge Pluess spluess@sanmateocourt.org
Thu Sep 13 12:22:00 GMT 2001

Hi

I just downloaded the latest setup.exe and wiped off my old installation first. This is on Windows 2000 Server

The setup and download finish and when i double click on the Cygwin Icon on my desktop I now get the following output:

"...mkdir: cannot create directory `/home': Permission denied
bash: cd: /home/spluess: No such file or directory

spluess@COURTNET /usr/bin
$ ..."

With last weeks setup.exe this didn't happen.

I ran the install while I am logged in through my NT4 domain account which has administrative rights and I think at the end of the setup.exe I see a shell popup that runs mkpasswd with the -l option. I look at /etc/passwd and there is an entry there for my local account I think:

spluess:This_field_is_not_used_by_cygwin_on_nt/2000/xp:1006:513:Serge Pluess,S-1-5-21-484763869-764733703-682003330-1006:/home/spluess:/bin/bash

So I am thinking, let me try to run mkpasswd -d but to my suprise it only lists the first 12 entries of the domain list (which is still in the a's) and for thus I cannot get the list to include my account information (which is in the s's). There are about 300 users in the domain.

I was having problem accessing files that I set to read/write only by the owner and started to look through the faq and archives for a couple of hours over the last week and after this newest happening I think that this is all based upon the same issue that the passwd file is created through the local user accounts and if I can get it to be generated through mkpasswd -d I guess that it might solve all this.

CYGWIN is set to binmode ntsec tty

Thanks in advance for any help/information and apologize if I overlooked it in an obivous location

Serge