`find [...] -exec [...]' confusion

Troy Noble troy.noble@channelpoint.com
Fri Sep 14 08:37:00 GMT 2001

You need a trailing "\;" on the end of your command

bash$ find /perl -name "*.pl" -exec cat {} \;

-----Original Message-----
From: Soren Andersen [ mailto:soren@wonderstorm.com ]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 9:35 AM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: `find [...] -exec [...]' confusion

Hello,

I have been wondering about this for a long time. In msg #36282 by: Simon
Heffer, he mentions what i have found: that when `find' is run with an -exec

option, there is invariably a message saying "missing argument to exec."

Trying something like this:

find /perl -name "*.pl" -exec cat {}

gives me that error message. can someone confirm to me that this is a bug?
or
not?
  Thank you for an answer that goes easy on the "its-an-FAQ-you-idiot"s.

      Soren Andersen