Make and VC++ compiler problems

Peter Buckley peter.buckley@cportcorp.com
Sat Sep 15 11:18:00 GMT 2001

I think your problem is that Cygwin's make uses /bin/sh.exe
as its default shell, in its default MAKE_MODE, which is "unix".
If you open up a sh.exe shell, or a bash shell for that matter (IIRC),
and type "copy" you will get a "command not found" error.
You might be better off doing what Chris Faylor says, and using
nmake. Not that he is discouraging your use of cygwin, but
cygwin walks a fine line between POSIX and microsoft compatibility,
when microsoft is doing their best to avoid any POSIX behavior.

You can try setting MAKE_MODE=win32 in your environment, that will
use the Windows command shell, which will recognize the copy command.
IIRC there is no copy.exe because copy is a shell built in for
windows.

Hope that helps,
Peter