Cygwin 1.3.3 gotcha

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Tue Sep 18 15:37:00 GMT 2001

At 06:24 PM 9/18/2001, Manis, Vincent wrote:
>Christopher,
>
>Just wanted to let you know that 1.3.3 caused me a fair bit of
>grief. I'm on a Novell network, and so the removal of the //c
>filename format caused unexpected hangs all the time. Not only
>that, but I've been sloppy enough to leave absolute path names
>all over my scripts. (That's my problem, not yours :-)
>
>Anyway, I certainly concur with removing the syntax, but it might
>be a good idea to put a warning on the main page about this change.
>
>Apart from that little glitch, I find Cygwin quite wonderful, and
>really appreciate the strides it's been making in functionality and
>robustness over the last while. Thanx! -- v

I guess you missed the README and the announcement on the Cygwin home
page (under "News") about the Cygwin 1.3.3 release.  Both mention the
fact that the //<drive> notation has been removed.  If you search the
mail list archives, you'll see many messages about the fact that this
syntax has been deprecated for a long time and even recent messages
giving folks forewarning that the syntax will be removed from 1.3.3.
That's the disadvantage of not paying attention! ;-)  Don't worry, you're
not the only one that missed all these reminders/warnings! :-)