Subject: Re: C compiler cannot create Executables

Christopher Faylor cygwin@cygwin.com
Wed Sep 19 15:23:00 GMT 2001

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 05:08:56PM -0500, Caines, Devon T. wrote:
>Hi Chris
>Did you ever get this one figured out...
>I have just run into it and haven't got a clue....

I assume you mean me.

I'm flattered that you expect me to instantly remember a four week old
thread but I actually had to look it up.

email etiquette would sort of dictate that you provide a little bit of
state and not ask me to do extra work if you are looking for help.

You probably want to check out this link:
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html .

Oddly enough, you are apparently responding to a message where I offered
an opinion of what was going on.  If my suggestion didn't work then this
is the first I've heard of it.

So, no, I haven't been actively tracking down this user configuration
problem.

If you think about it, you've obviously got something screwed up
somewhere.  The cygwin mailing list is not filled with hordes of people
plaintively asking why they can't create executables.

What could be screwed up?  You could have your path environment variable
set incorrectly, you could have some "helper" environment variable set
incorrectly, you could have an old version of some package like
binutils, you could have not installed binutils at all.  For all I know,
you haven't even installed cygwin at all.

Basically, you'll have to put on your thinking cap and do some actual
investigation of what is wrong with your system.  Expecting people to
magically debug your problem because you "haven't got a clue" is
just not going to happen.

cgf