Shell execution

egor duda deo@logos-m.ru
Fri Sep 21 11:51:00 GMT 2001

Hi!

Friday, 21 September, 2001 Troy Noble troy.noble@channelpoint.com wrote:

>>From /usr/doc/Cygwin/cron.README:

TN> "On NT/W2K run cron under SYSTEM account
TN> as service to use that feature. Note that you don't have access to
TN> net shares in the child processes then."

TN> Which means m: (and thus /cygdrive/m)
TN> is likely not mapped when your cron job is running...
TN> as you discovered.

TN> Search the archives for similar discussions on this
TN> subject.  A search on Google for cygwin +cron +mount +username
TN> should do the trick I'd imagine.

TN> A nifty little trick I've learned... if you don't mind
TN> storing your NT username and password in a plain text file
TN> somewhere on your disk (like in your script):

TN> /winnt/system32/net use m: '\\hostname\sharename' yourpassword
TN> '/user:YOURDOMAIN\yourusername'

TN> and later before your script exits

TN> /winnt/system32/net use /d m:

TN> The security hole that this opens up should be obvious to
TN> the casual observer... but it is effective nonetheless.

It works. In a way. Apart from gaping security hole there's another
big problem with letters. Your script may just silently die before
reaching '/winnt/system32/net use /d m:' line. In that case (at least
on NT 4.0) you'll be left with exiting, but unaccessible, undeletable
and unchangeable 'm:'. Next time your script won't be able to run at
all. You'll need to restart your machine to get rid of it

So, i strongly suggest using UNC everywhere where possible.