Moving Cygwin Install dir

Li-Kai Liu news@likai.net
Mon Sep 24 09:17:00 GMT 2001

Brian Michael Genisio wrote:

>Greetings Cygwin peeps,
>
>I have an install of Cygwin, and I need to move it to another machine.  I have
>zipped up the entire directory, and moved it to the new machine.  The problem
>is that when I try to start cygwin.bat, I get the following error :
>
>bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!
>
>So, in cygwin.bat, I tried the following :
>
>mount %temp% /tmp
>
>This fixed the /tmp error message, but it seems bash was unable to find the
>correct home directory to start from, thus no path envirnonment, and nothing
>works too well...  And it starts me in /bin
>

>Any ideas to get it back to normal?
>
>Thanks,
>Brian

make sure the mounts are also setup the same way in another machine.
mount points in cygwin are stored in Registry. there are system mounts
and user mounts ...
system mounts apply to all users of a system, and user mounts only apply
to a particular user ...
a typical cygwin installation already sets up three mounts, such as ...

C:\cygnus\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\cygnus\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\cygnus on / type system (binmode)

of course, this depends on the path where cygwin is installed.

use `mount -h` for usage information.

regards,

liulk

----

to rest of the cygwin group ...

about the patching ls things .... cygdrive is a virtual directory, but
it would be good to implement that using the same mechanism of mount.
eg. create a folder in / that reads cygdrive, but this mounted directory
goes to a virtual path driver (or handler) that enumerates all drives in
the system ... I think someone who mentioned about "doing cygdrive
similar to the way /proc works" has the same idea.

but at any rate, i'm opposed to patching a particular application for
cygdrive operatibility. you can patch one, but that does not solve the
root of the problem.

liulk