Fetchmail as a service

Michael Erdely cygwin@cygwin.com
Tue Sep 25 05:20:00 GMT 2001

Very good, Jason.  I have it set up that way, too.

David, you asked if anyone was running fetchmail.  The answer was easy:
Yes.  And as a service.  That did answer your question.

I am running fetchmail very much like Jason described.  I'm not having
any problems mentioned in the archive Jason mentions.  And I have it
checking one IMAP mailbox and one POP3 mailbox (Exchange servers).  Try
building the latest version.

-ME

-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-owner@sources.redhat.com
[ mailto:cygwin-owner@sources.redhat.com ] On Behalf Of Jason Tishler
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 9:25 PM
To: David Monk
Cc: Corinna Vinschen
Subject: Re: Fetchmail as a service

David,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 03:15:51PM -0500, David Monk wrote:
> There was a message in the archive regarding running fetchmail as a
service
> via cygwin. But, the only thing in the message was "Yes. I have it
running.
> And as a service" basically.
> Has anyone hanging around and paying attention to the list got
fetchmail
> running as a service? If so, was there anything special you had to do
to get
> it all working properly?

Not under NT 4.0, but when I upgraded to 2000 I had two problems:

1. fetchmail would corrupt some on my mail.  See the following for
the details and patch:

2. I needed to (re)define the HOME variable when I installed fetchmail
as a service:

    cygrunsrv --install fetchmail --path /usr/local/bin/fetchmail --args
"--daemon 300 --nodetach" --env HOME=/home/jt --termsig TERM --user
'althea\jt' --shutdown

> I have fetchmail configured and delivering mail to a local spool file,
but
> it fails on start when install using cygrunsrv.

Maybe #2 above is affecting you too?  What are the error messages when
fetchmail fails to start via cygrunsrv?

BTW, I have fetchmail invoking procmail and the combination works very
nicely.  And, when someone sends me a MS Word document, I can still view
it via mutt's autoview feature.

Jason