Why cygwin forced convert all input and output to OEM or ANSI ?

egor duda deo@logos-m.ru
Tue Sep 25 06:34:00 GMT 2001

Hi!

Tuesday, 25 September, 2001 Kazuhiro Fujieda fujieda@jaist.ac.jp wrote:

KF> Hi, Egor.

KF>> The current Cygwin DLL doesn't support codepages other than
KF>> OEM or ANSI in the current system locale, because Win32 APIs
KF>> sensitive to the codepage can't handle them.
>>
>> it's possible, i believe, to add something like CYGWIN=codepage:asis
>> all codepage-specific functions do allow supplying any valid codepage
>> to them with one exception: /dev/clipboard handling code.

KF> Most of all file I/O functions don't allow codepages other than
KF> OEM or ANSI.

KF> In NTFS, these functions mutually translate filenames between
KF> a codepage and UNICODE. They must know the codepage used to
KF> represent filenames. But Win32 provides APIs only indicating OEM
KF> or ANSI, that is SetFileApisTo{ANSI,OEM}.

i know. but if user doesn't care about file names, but does care about
console output -- he won't be able to do 'chcp 20866' like he did
before. the problem is not with SetFileApisTo* stuff, but in
console-handling code -- it ignores current set codepage and enforces
oem or ansi one.