Some generalized advice needed

Jordan Halsey jhalsey@wt.net
Tue Sep 25 08:38:00 GMT 2001

Hello, I am relativly new to cygwin but I am beginning to feel comfortable
in the console window as well as as I have a good idea where all the setup
files are and what not.

Mainly my question is the best methadology for creating a working
environment, I am not a programmer or a sys admin (trying).  Primarily I use
Maya and Shake and prman and what I  would like to do is set up my machine
for optimum effeciency so as I learn to program my development environment
is at least correct.

I would like to set up 1 home directory that would store all my various
settings, prefs and scripts which right now is under the WinNt/profiles is
it more advisable to do this in c:/cygwin/home in this directory all I have
is a folder called administrator which is empty ?

My home directory is set to c:/temp should this be HOME=C:/cygwin/home ?

I have two profiles set in NT administrator and jordan, yet when I run

Mkgroup > etc/group

It seems only the default groups are created and jordan is nowhere.

Thanks for any help

--
Jordan Halsey
maya|shake|prman|eias|formZ|ae