gcc 2.91.57 thinks it is 2.95.3-5 or vice versa

Darrell R. Hougen no.darrell.r.hougen.spam@lmco.com
Tue Sep 25 08:46:00 GMT 2001

Hi,

I used setup.exe to download and install the latest version of cygwin on
my NT machine and it came with the following file:
gcc-2.95.3-5.tar.bz2.  I'm assuming that is the file that got installed
by the setup script.  However, when I type gcc -dumpversion, I get
"egcs-2.91.57".  Also, when I try to compile a python extension module,
I get an warning from the python (v. 2.1) config.h file, viz., "Please
use an up to date version of gcc (>2.91 recommended)."  I downloaded gcc
from mirrors.rcn.net.  Is this a problem with the mirror site, or is gcc
2.91 masquerading as 2.95?

Thanks.
Darrell