binutils: auto-import, C++, STLport/SGI iostream

Danny Smith danny_r_smith_2001@yahoo.co.nz
Sun Sep 30 13:39:00 GMT 2001

 --- Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote: > This message is
primarily for Danny Smith:

> In the binutils.README, there's a bug report from Danny that says:
>
> >    "I am still having some (sorry, one very specific) problem
> >    with C++ and auto-import.  It is with cerr, cin, cout in
> >    the STLport of the SGI iostream lib.  These are initialised
> >    before main.  When building dll with auto-export and using
> >    auto-import to link (no dllimport attributes), I get
> >    successful link, but runtime failure of app at initialisation
> >    (before main). When building dll with --export-all, but
> >    marking DATA with dllimport when compiling client, I get
> >    successful link and run."
>

> This was reported LONG ago, before the run-time problems with
> auto-importing multi-word variables was discovered, isolated, and
> addressed.  The currently distributed cygwin-binutils identifies
> these
> problem variables, and generates a link-time, rather than run-time
> error.
>
> Danny: can you try again whatever procedure it was that caused the
> errors you described, but this time with a current binutils?  What
> happens?
>
> My hypothesis: Danny's problems with SGLport/SGI iostream were *not
> "initialization before main" errors, but rather were "runtime error
> with
> auto-imported multi-word variable" errors.  If Danny STILL gets
> error-free linktime behavior but gets the runtime errors, then I'm
> wrong.  However, if I'm right, then Danny will see a "can't
> auto-import
> "cerr" ...." error message at link-time, and I can "close" his bug
> report.
>
> Danny?
>
> --Chuck

And here was my analysis which I reported to binutils list:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-08/msg00083.html

I may have been wrong.  I'll look at I again to see if I get a
link-time error when I get acess to my home box. (Sorry my lap top only
has 3.0.x and CVS GCC on it and C++ dll's on that have different
problems).

Danny

> --

http://travel.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Travel