mcrypt commnad

Michael Schaap cygwin@mscha.org
Thu Apr 4 11:10:00 GMT 2002

At 20:32 4-4-2002, Gupta, Sanjay wrote:
>I have openssl installed, but I would really appreciate, if you can tell me
>how to use for my requirement.
>My requirement is, I have a  simple text file which has some sensitive
>information, and I want encrypt this file this file using some password and
>similarly decrypt the file using the same password. The vi -x filename,
>command will not work because these steps should be done in shell scripts.
>Is it possible to do the same in openssl ?.

"man openssl" should tell you all you need to know.

A few basic examples:

Encrypt a file:
         $ openssl des3 -a -salt -in plainfile -out encryptedfile -k mypassword

Decrypt a file:
         $ openssl des3 -d -a -salt -in encryptedfile -out plainfile -k
mypassword

HTH,

  - Michael

--
     I always wondered about the meaning of life.   So I looked it
     up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning