Printing PostScript file

Paul Dilip K NPRI PaulDK@Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil
Thu Apr 4 11:20:00 GMT 2002

Any other thought about printing postscript files from cygwin; still can not print.
Somehow the printer is unknown even with hostname and device name.

Dilip Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Wilson [mailto:cwilson@ece.gatech.edu]
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 6:38 PM
To: Lester Ingber; cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Printing PostScript file

Lester Ingber wrote:

> Up until about a month ago I was able to send PostScript files to my PC
> network PostScript printer using the -S flag (as on Solaris) to specify
> an IP address, e.g., I used
> lpr -S10.6.18.220 -Pq -ol file.ps
> and it worked great even in batch mode for many files.
>
> Now it seems broken?  I get:
> lpr: unknown option -- S
>
> Has the cygwin utility been changed?

Sort of.  Unless you were using a custom program, there WAS no cygwin
version of lpr until about a month ago.  At that time, a cygwin version
of lpr was added to the cygutils package.

My guess: you were previously using the native windows version of lpr in
C:\WINNT\system32\ and now are using the new cygwin version.

Good things about the cygwin version: understands cygwin paths and
filenames.  Bad things: command line options aren't the same -- and I
don't think it can use ip addrs as print destinations.  Contributions
welcome.

--Chuck