WinXP users without password and cygwin_logon_user

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Fri Apr 5 02:46:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 11:52:26AM +0200, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
> Hello, there! :)
>
> I want to raise this issue again... In short
> on my WinXP Home cygwin_logon_user fails to log
> users without password set (or empty passwords - I dont know which is
> correct to be said). Is this a known issue ? The failed Win32 API is
> LogonUser. I red the MSDN docu on this API but it was of no help at
> all... I've tried several different ways to call LogonUser but to no
> avail:(
>
> This issue affects the instructions in the inetutils README file which
> say that to run anonymous ftp you either have to use Guest or create
> an account without password named (or mapped) ftp. Still Guest is
> allowed without pass by LogonUser, but not any other accounts...

Unfortunately XP Home has some ... interesting ... restrictions.

I've messed up my XP Home installation so I can't look into this.
However, even if there's no useful GUI user manager you can still
use the CLI version `net user'.  Assuming the name of that user is
"foo", you can look into the user info with `net user foo' and the
output is sth. like that:

$ net user foo
User name                    foo
Full Name                    foo
Comment
User's comment
Country code                 000 (System Default)
Account active               Yes
Account expires              Never

Password last set            1/30/2002 12:34 PM
Password expires             Never
Password changeable          1/30/2002 12:34 PM
Password required            Yes
User may change password     Yes

Workstations allowed         All
Logon script
User profile
Home directory               D:/home/corinna
Last logon                   4/5/2002 8:48 AM

Logon hours allowed          All

Local Group Memberships      *Users
Global Group memberships     *None
The command completed successfully.

You see "Password required" set to "yes"?  Now try

$ net user foo /passwordreq:no

and try again.  I don't know if that helps, though. Just a guess.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.