ps command - revisited

Alan Dobkin Alan@ADobkin.Net
Tue Apr 9 20:08:00 GMT 2002

I don't know why Chris's process isn't showing up, but I can
attest to the fact that all Windows processes, including those
associated with services *do* appear in the ps -W output, with
only two exceptions:  the System Idle Process (PID #0) and the
CSRSS.EXE (Client/Server Run-Time Subsystem) process, which is
the user-mode portion of the Win32 subsystem.  Maybe cgf knows
why these are missing and/or can add them to a future release.
This should probably be considered a bug, since they are always
listed in other Win32 process listings.  (Another minor related
bug is that the System process, which runs kernel-mode threads,
shows up as "*** unknown ***" instead of "System" in ps -W.)

As others have mentioned, there are lots of good utilities to
list processes on WinNT/2K.  My personal preference is TLIST,
which comes with the Windows 2000 Support Tools (included on
the Win2K Pro CD), since it has a -T option for "task tree"
which shows parent/child processes in sort of a hierarchy.
It can also display detailed service/process/thread/DLL info.
There is also PULIST, which comes with the Resource Kit and
displays usernames associated with each process.  It can also
show processes on remote systems.  Finally, there is PsList,
which is one of Mark Russinovich's excellent utilities in his
free PsTools suite.  You can download this from his web site:

http://www.sysinternals.com/

On the other hand, if you are specially looking for NT/2K
service-related information, as opposed to process-related
information, I recommend Mark Russinovich's PsService (also
part of the PsTools suite above), and the MS Resource Kit
utilities SC (Service Controller), SCLIST, and NETSVC.

Enjoy!

Alan

--On Tuesday, April 09, 2002 7:28 PM -0400 Christopher Faylor