bash 2.05a-3: option to allow drive letter prefixes for completion?

Chris Metcalf metcalf@incert.com
Tue Apr 16 09:48:00 GMT 2002

Currently, if you use completion on a path with a drive letter (e.g.
"ls -d c:/win<TAB>"), bash considers the drive letter to be unrelated
syntax and expands out of the mounted root instead (e.g. c:/cygwin).
This is quite understandable and defensible, but it would be nice to
allow drive letters to be considered part of the path name if the
user so chooses.  In defense of this option, I submit:

 * If I enter "ls -d c:/win*", the shell *does* include the drive
   letter prefix as part of the path, and globs corrects (to c:/winnt).

 * tcsh (6.11.00-4) by default does filename completion including
   drive letter prefixes.

Thanks for your consideration.

                Chris Metcalf -- InCert Software -- 1 (617) 621 8080
                metcalf@incert.com -- http://www.incert.com/~metcalf