I am not going to let cygwin BSOD my Windows 2000 Server

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Sat Apr 20 11:21:00 GMT 2002

At 01:51 PM 4/20/2002, George Hester wrote:
>Sort of.  Maybe it does work for 99% of the people out there.  I know
>nothing of that.  And yes, my toes are sensitive to things such as this.  If
>I lose my op sys it takes me months to get it back to the condition I had
>before its destruction.  You may not believe me but I assure you that is the
>case.
>
>The information I have garnered here has helped to maybe stick my toes in
>the fire again.  I will wait a while and see if there is any good soul that
>can explain the procedures for a manual setup. And if that is pie in the sky
>then at that point I will decide if walking around with a few less toes is
>worth it.

Clearly, you're suffering from phobias which this list is ill-equipped to
help you resolve.  Your best bet in that regard is to seek help from the
appropriate forum.

In terms of setup and BSOD issues, Rob is quite right in pointing out that
setup may have once or may now tickle an O/S bug on your system that causes
a BSOD for you but this is an O/S issue, not a setup or Cygwin one.  You want
to talk to M$ about that.  If setup is or was tickling this bug for you,
there is no permanent damage as a result.  It just means that you have to
reboot after it runs.  But I fear I'm stepping into the area of your phobia
so I'll abandon this argument.

With respect to the idea of waiting for someone to document installation
steps so that you can follow them, I fear again that you've missed the
point of this project.  If you're interested in finding this information
out and really want the answer, it's best to pursue it yourself.  Chris
Faylor has posted one possible script to do this.  Setup source is another
avenue.  Wait for whatever and whomever you want if that suits you but I
implore you to not bug the list about it in the meantime.  As near as I can
tell, your phobias have backed you into a corner and you prefer to complain
to the list about your resulting helplessness rather than taking some action
that will resolve your problems.