binmode ? dos2unix ?

lau bella bellalauhk@yahoo.com.hk
Sun Apr 21 21:10:00 GMT 2002

In w2k advanced server (Service Pack 2), i have local
drive c:, d:, e:, f:. In cygwin, the default mount :

d:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
d:\cygwin on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
c:\ on  /cygdrive/c type system (textmode)
d:\ on /cygdrive/d type system (textmode)
e:\ on /cygdrive/e type system (textmode)
f:\ on /cygdrive/f type system (textmode)

I set CYGWIN=ntsec in system environment and registry.

Cygwin is installed in d:\.
I make home directory in f:\. The following actions
are done in f:\ :
1. I have a perl script which will generate a output
file. I use perl complier provided by Cygwin
(/usr/perl) to run the perl script. The file size of
the output file decrease when i run "dos2unix". Thus,
i think the output file is in DOS format (with ^M
control character).

2. I use Cygwin ftp server to ftp file from PC (say
w2k professional) to the w2k Server f:\. The file size
also
decrease when i run "dos2unix" command. i use ascii
mode to ftp.

3. When i use "vi" to create file in cygwin and run
dos2unix, the file size is NOT change.

I think i miss some setting in Cygwin, so the files in
point 1 and 2 are in DOS format, but not for point 3.

Do i need to change mount point e.g. (f:\) to binmode,
how to do it ?

thanks a lot :-)

bella