setup.exe Runtime error!

Janne K Edelman janne.edelman@nettiportti.fi
Thu Aug 1 00:46:00 GMT 2002

For a some time I have experienced a major problem with Cygwin setup.exe.
Otherwise it runs normally (I can select download site, packages, it
downloads packages) but it does not install/uninstall anything. Instead it
crashes to "Runtime error" every time it should start installing the
downloaded packages.

Current version I have tried with is 2.249.2.5. It stops with a dialog

    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

     (X)  Runtime Error!

     Program: C:\Cygwin Packages\setup.exe

     This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in unusual
way.

I have experienced this problem for few weeks and I suppose it can be caused
by some updated and incompatible DLL. If so the problem is that I do not
know which and what can I do to fix the problem.

My environment is Dell Latitude 610 (P3-1.2GHz, 512 MB, 30 GB), Windows XP
with the latest patches from Microsoft. Cygwin setup version 2.249.2.5.

/Janne K Edelman