lsof port

Birl sbirl@astro.ocis.temple.edu
Fri Aug 2 11:09:00 GMT 2002

CGF:	  Thanks for the backhanded answer you supplied.  The program you
          mentioned would be a nice thing to have it didnt crash the
          NT server.  (Ive already sent a bug complaint to the developer).

Chris J:  Thanks for looking into this.

In the meantime I will dig around for something stable.  I certainly hope
that there will be a Cygwin version of lsof sometime in the near future.

 Thanks

 Scott Birl      Scott.Birl@temple.edu
 UNIX Consultant/Systems Administrator   Computer  Services   Temple University
 1805 North Broad Street  Philadelphia   Pennsylvania 19122   United States
====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====+====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====*

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:15:23 +0100
From: Chris January <chris@atomice.net>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: lsof

> I searched the Cygwin website for lsof and found nothing, and I know
that
> this question could be directed to the lsof list but I could not
subscribe
> to it.
>
> Here's my question:
>
> Will there be any plans to port lsof to Cygwin?
>
> I cant think of any NT utility to do what lsof does, and I tried to
> compile lsof 4.55 sometime ago, but it failed (though I cant remember
why)
This could be done through /proc in future, perhaps.
I will look into it.

Chris

    [ Part 6: "Included Message" ]

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:07:08 -0400
From: Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: lsof (porting plans)

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 01:01:42PM -0400, Birl wrote:
>I searched the Cygwin website for lsof and found nothing, and I know that
>this question could be directed to the lsof list but I could not
subscribe
>to it.
>
>Here's my question:
>
>Will there be any plans to port lsof to Cygwin?

If you searched the cygwin web site, including mailing list archives and
found no mention of lsof then it is a very safe bet that there are no
plans to port it.

I hope that this message, which is now in the archives, will serve to
make this clear for future people searching for a port of whatever.

In the meantime, if you want a generic windows utility which does
something
similar to lsof (which I had to lookup by the way -- it would be nice
if people didn't assume that everyone else shared their knowledge of
packages they want ported), check out http://www.sysinternals.com .

cgf