Problem with cron and cygdrive-prefix

Ralf Habacker Ralf.Habacker@freenet.de
Mon Aug 5 00:43:00 GMT 2002

> > So Ralf, my suggestion to you would be to change your system prefix
> > and if it doesn't work to make a cron job to remove the user prefix
> > for the user cron runs as.
> > --
> On monday I will inspect this more.
>
> Thanks for any hints.

The following is a output of a mount command started as cron job. I cannot see
any problem with prefix or mount point type.

$ crontab -l
MAILTO="ralf.habacker@sag-el.com"
* * * * * mount

E:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
E:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
E:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
g: on /g type system (binmode)
c: on /c type system (binmode,noumount)
e: on /e type system (binmode,noumount)
f: on /f type system (binmode,noumount)

A simple set command in the crontab shows that the path variable dows not
contain the valid cygdrive-prefix, so i guess that there is a problem in
identifying the right prefix in cron or cygwin.

$ crontab -l
MAILTO="ralf.habacker@sag-el.com"
#* * * * * set

OS2LIBPATH=C:\WINNT\system32\os2\dll;
LOGONSERVER=\\DBSERVER1
HOME=/home/Administrator
SYSTEMDRIVE=C:
MAILTO=ralf.habacker@sag-el.com
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3, GenuineIntel
PS1=$
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0703
PS2=>
USERDOMAIN=DBSERVER1
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
LOGNAME=Administrator
CYGWIN=tty ntsec
USERNAME=Administrator
TERM=cygwin
WINDIR=C:\WINNT
PATH=/cygdrive/e/orant/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINNT:/cygdriv
e/c/Programme/PERC2/System:/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/ULTRAEDT:/bin
OS=Windows_NT
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
SHELL=/bin/sh
IFS=

SYSTEMROOT=C:\WINNT
HOMEDRIVE=E:
PWRCHUTE=C:\Programme\Pwrchute
HOMEPATH=\cygwin\home\Administrator
COMSPEC=C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe
COMPUTERNAME=DBSERVER1
TZ=   -1   -2,M3.5.0/2,M10.5.0/3
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6

Next I've done an "strace mount" and added an "strace mount" to the crontab

MAILTO="ralf.habacker@sag-el.com"
#* * * * * strace mount

and let it run. The only noticable difference îs relating to the path setting
and it seems ther is something wrong in the identification of the cygdrive
prefix. (See the appended straces)

BTW: If have searched all the registry and haven't found any /cygdrive setting
for the cygdrive prefix.

mount-cron.strace
  589   15218 [main] mount 852 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path:
conv_to_posix_path (E:\cygwin\cygdrive\e\orant\bin, keep-rel, no-add slash)

mount.strace
  218   17941 [main] mount 420 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path:
conv_to_posix_path (e:\orant\bin, keep-rel, no-add-slash)

Any idea ?

Ralf