1.3.12: rm -rf on directory with open files hangs

Joe Buehler jbuehler@hekimian.com
Thu Aug 8 06:35:00 GMT 2002

Michael Beach wrote:

> Hi all, I've been bitten lately by rm -rf on a directory occasionally
> hanging. After some fooling around, I've come up with a simple way of
> reproducing the problem. I'm currently using 1.3.12 of the DLL on Windows
> 2000 Professional SP2. Results from 'cygcheck -s -v -r' are attached.

I have a patch for this that I have not yet submitted.  The unlink()
system call needs to rename the file to a temporary directory and
then remove the file.

I'll post the patch to cygwin-patches in a bit.

Joe Buehler